The introduction of free choice in the NHS, means Swindon patients referred to hospital by their general practitioner (GP) can choose to go anywhere in England.
You can still go to your local hospital as before, but you now have the choice of any hospital in England, where your care is funded by the NHS. This includes NHS hospitals, foundation trusts and many independent (private) hospitals that provide NHS funded care.
You can now:
- Ask your general practice (GP) or one of the practice staff for advice about the options available locally or elsewhere in England.
- Compare information about hospitals on the NHS Choices website.
- Speak to an adviser at "the appointment line" (once your GP has made a referral to see a specialist) by calling:
08456 088 888 free of charge.
- Visit your local library for information. From the end of April, libraries will be able to help people access the information they need on the NHS Choices website and show them how to book their appointment.
- Read the leaflet "Choosing Your Hospital" available in all GP surgeries, NHS Swindon or you can download it here from the Department of Health website.